Monday, 18 November 2013

PART 1: FIRST STEPS AND GOALS

I’m not writing this blog because it’s a fun thing for me to do on the side and I don’t want to go anywhere with it. I want to be a fashion designer, and my sole intention for this blog has always been to help me achieve that goal.

I am a little out of touch with fashion right now. I’ve researched a little bit, but I have a lot more work to do. So I thought, why not write about my entire journey? Why not write about what I’m doing to achieve my goals, rather than just writing about the end product? So that’s where I’m kind of going with this. I’m going to discuss all the things I’m doing involving fashion. Hopefully on the way my posts will teach others a thing or two. But don’t worry, not all of my posts will be a long, boring wall of text like this. I will still make normal blog posts with pretty pictures in addition to these.

I’ve got kind of two goals right now. Super long term goal=fashion designer. Next 6 months to a year= model. I always liked both sides, fashion design and modelling. At this point, it makes a ton of sense for me to be doing both. I’m going to design clothes, then make them, then model them myself. Therefore, I need to know how to do both things. So fashion designer is my main goal, but I’d like to, and need to, do some modelling stuff on the side. And I’ve always wanted to model my own clothes. I won’t lie though, there’s always been a part of me that just wants to prance around in pretty clothes and hair and make up and have tons of beautiful pictures of myself. But we won’t get into that! I’ve just always had a little part of myself that wanted to be a model.

I’d really like to do some legit modelling jobs as well, over the next few years and however long I feel like doing it for. I think it would be a great thing for me to do before and during college. Another problem though, unfortunately, I’m only 5 feet 5 inches tall. I would be classified as a petite model, which honestly, will probably be harder to find jobs for. I’m still going to try my hardest though. I have no problem wearing 5-6 inch heels anyway! Most models are at least 5 feet 7 inches in case you weren’t aware.

I have a few shorter term goals. The first being this blog, and the second posting on lookbook.nu more. I think lookbook.nu would be an amazing way for people to see my style, even if it’s just clothes I already own that other people made. At this point, I don’t have the money to buy new clothes or buy fabric to make my own designs. For now I want to put together outfits I already have and photograph them as well as sketch out my designs in my sketch book before I get around to actually sewing them.

Here’s the thing. I’m not an expert sewer. I would say I’m pretty bad at it. It’s not that I’m a beginner, but that I hold myself to such a high standard. I want to be an expert. I want to make flawless garments. I’m very far away from that at this point. Right now I’m completely self-taught and won’t be going to fashion school for at least another year. This is what I’m going to do about it basically: youtube!!!! Also, being that I’m quite into video games and anime, I’m going to sew a few cosplay costumes. This will help me with basic sewing and help me learn to alter patterns slightly. I won’t have to dive into the deep end to make them. I’m going to talk very minimally about my cosplays in this blog, however, because it isn’t fashion! Anyway, these things are going to help me learn the foundations of sewing.

I have so much stuff I need to do. The things I’m absolutely going to do today is get out all of my clothes. I moved 13 months ago and a majority of my clothes are still in boxes. I need to get them out already, especially my summer clothes. I’m also going to start doing Insanity (again). I started doing it a few months ago but stopped. But now I’m going to try it again because I really liked it. Exercise is important in general, but also, just being honest, I have a fat face. Literally everything I eat goes right to my face lol. I truly think I have a stunning jaw line when I’ve worked out consistently for a few weeks. I’m also going to make some changes to my diet, plan out meals a bit better, get more vegetables in there, and stop drinking soda and having candy and cookies and junk every time I go out with friends. I love eating, and anyone who knows me knows that! I’m planning to still eat a lot, well, normally, but just stop eating junk and eat healthier meals. I also like cooking so I don’t see this being a huge problem. I want to eat things that are nutritious but taste amazing. A big change I’ve made recently is drinking a lot of water. My entire life I just really didn’t drink too many liquids, and even had a few problems with dehydration (and felt like a big idiot), but now I’m drinking a lot of water and been feeling generally a bit better. Really glad I’ve finally made this change.

Some other things I need to do is buy a good camera. I only have a point and shoot, and that will just not do. I have no clue how I will ever afford a fancy camera, but it’s going to be necessary. I also need to unpack my sewing machine, tehe, haven’t sewed anything in a while, as well as pile up all of the clothes that I need to fix. I’m quite small. I usually like to wear X-small shirts, dresses, and whatever, but most of the time only size small is available. I need to get out all the clothes that are too baggy on me or just don’t fit correctly and fix them. Nothing is more annoying than a garment not fitting correctly. I also am in dire need of some new make up. Make up is super important for photo shoots. I really only have the basic stuff. I’m also not very good with make up. I’ve always put way more importance on clothes and just stuck with simple hair and make up since I don’t really know what to do with it. I just learned to do a cat eye a month ago and it’s basically all I know how to do. I’m so bad.

I’ve been obsessing or I guess you could say freaking out over my hair. I have no clue what to do with it 100% of the time. I have no idea what is fashionable to do with it right now or what looks decent on me. It’s also hot outside, so wearing it down isn’t really an option. I also have like 3 times the amount of hair on my head as a normal person. My hair is thick and it’s annoying and time consuming to deal with.

I need to read up on fashion, hair, and make up trends. I did a little bit, but my memory is horrible and I’ve forgotten most of it, so I need to look it up a second time. I need to figure out what camera would be best for me, and a good price. I also need to experiment with some hair and make up and figure out what looks good on me. I just got a nice make up mirror to put on my desk and I’m quite happy about it.

Right now I’m looking up stuff about fashion photography. It’s really more complicated than just taking a picture. So much goes into just creating one image. I think people need to realize that. I’m trying to learn poses and silly things like that. I stumbled on this youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/AModelRecommends/ which I like. She’s a model and she just talks about her life and career. I’ve also watched some videos about editing photos and things like that.

Being a fashion designer is absolutely what I want do with my life, and modelling would be something I would enjoy on the side. I have a lot to do, but, I’d like to say it’s WORTH. The fashion industry is very demanding so I feel like I need to do all this extra stuff in addition to fashion school so that I can make it as a fashion designer. As you can see, I have a lot of goals for myself. This doesn’t even include my whole e-sports thing I’m doing right now also, because hey, this blog is about fashion. I’m a very busy girl. I’m glad I wrote this because I’m feeling very stressed out, also excited, but stressed out about all of this. Kind of a chance for me to get everything down in one place and get things off my chest. I have so much more I could say but I should stop procrastinating and start getting things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment